Welcome to Transition Into Tech!
You’re here, so I assume you’re looking to shift gears and explore a career in tech. You’re in your late 30s, 40s or beyond, woman, man or your own blend; you have a fair amount of working experience under your belt in a field that you’re simply done with. Whatever your reasons, it’s time for a new chapter in your life, and you know (or at least you’ve an inkling) that tech is where you want to be.
The metaphor (seems there’s always a metaphor…)
The picture above says it all: you’re embarking on a fascinating journey! When you set off, the road seems awfully winding and at times uncertain, risky even, and not knowing what you’ll find round the corner makes your heart skip a beat on occasion. However, as you advance, you find the breath-taking scenery and the feeling of freedom to be totally worth the risk. Plus, you realise the road is, in fact, quite solid, and it’s reassuring to know other have walked it before. Yeah, if it rains it might get slippery – but you’ve checked the weather before embarking on your journey and there’s no cloud in sight; plus, you’re well equipped and you’ve spotted some cosy hide-aways on your way up. And you realise that, worst case scenario – you don’t manage to cross all the way to the other side, you’re still be better of having done it, your life still enriched. All in all, you feel inspired and all you want is to keep going and are thankful you took that first step, despite your doubts.
What a ride you’re in for – and I’m thrilled to be sharing this adventure with you!
The Transition Into Tech mission
Transition Into Tech exists to inspire, guide and support you on your journey to a tech career, to meet you wherever you are and see you through to that 1st day of your new job.
Here’s what I know, from first hand experience and from interviewing countless people who’ve transitioned successfully to their desired tech career. To be successful, you need:
- to know it’s doable (aka others, just like you, have done it)
- to pick the career that suits you best out of the many, many options out there
- to build new, marketable skills and learn how to showcase them
- to stay the course when doubt kicks in
- to become aware (and proud!) of your added value and learn how to communicate it effectively
- to roll up your sleeves and go get that job!
Here’s what we recommend you read first
With all that out of the way, let’s roll up our sleeves and get to work!
We know that embarking on a transformation of this magnitude can get pretty overwhelming, so we’ve put together this page to help you get started. Here’s what we recommend you check out first:
- What ‘tech’ is
- Why you might want to explore a career in tech
- What your options are – including my almost exhaustive list of tech careers
- And definitely, DEFINITELY, document your journey – you can thank me later!
Then, depending on where you are on your journey:
- If you’re looking for a new career and are considering tech… but you’re still iffy: if you are curious about tech even though you don’t know the first thing about it, if you’re not sure whether it’s the right choice for you, what it would entail, what’s your first step etc. – start with the Be inspired section. It’s where you’ll find the information you need to both put your mind at ease and fire your imagination. Oh, incidentally, it’s where you’ll need to come if, down the road, you’ll need a bit of a motivation boost.
- If you’re determined to explore a tech career but have yet to decide on the exact path you’d like to pursue: sounds like the Decide section is for you. It’ll guide your steps to where you want to go while making sure you don’t drop any balls in the process. You’ll come away with a clear understanding of where you’re heading and a clear plan for moving forward.
- If you know exactly where you’re heading but need to start building skills NOW: your problem is that you don’t know what you don’t know…. I’ve got you: head to the Learn section. This is where you find everything you need to bridge that skills gap – complete info on what to learn and how to get started.
- If it’s time to put those new skills to work and land your dream job or a first freelance gig: you likely need a little help boosting your employability skills to break into the tech career of your choice… Your next stop is the Work section. This is where it all comes together – whether you’ve decided to find a job, go freelance or set up a business, this is the place for you.
Let’s get started!
But wait! Before you go off to explore the site…
- If you’re wondering who this person talking to you is, head on to the About page to read my story and get to know the cool little team I’ve assembled to help you in your journey
- Sign up for the Transition Into Tech weekly newsletter – so you can get all the info you need for a smooth transition
- Be sure to comment on the articles so I know what works for you and what doesn’t
- And DEFINITELY get in touch or connect on Facebook / Twitter / LinkedIn – see you there!
Thank you so much for stopping by! I’m happy to have you here and look forward to sharing this journey with you!